The vegetarian recipe for Palak Paneer (Spinach and Cottage Cheese Curry):
- 250 g fresh spinach leaves
- 100 g paneer/Indian fresh cheese (cut into 1 cm cubes)
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts (grind)
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds (chop)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp cream cheese – suitable for vegetarians
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 dried chili (chop)
- 1 green chili (chop)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Heat oil, saute dried chili, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds until fragrant.
- Add spinach, stir evenly, cover the pan, simmer for 3 minutes, remove and cool.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to a blender.
- Add cashew nuts, plain yogurt, salt, cream cheese, green chili and water; pulse until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a sauce pot and stir over low flame until boiling.
- Add paneer and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove, place in a large bowl and garnish with chopped almonds.