The vegetarian recipe for Vegan Oyster Omelette:
servings – 8 omelettes
- 3/4 cup pumpkin flesh (steam till soft)
- 1/2 cup golden flax seeds (wash, soak in 3 1/2 cups water overnight and drain)
- 1/2 cup soaked kombu/kelp (*soak kombu in water for 1/2 hour and drain)
- 2 cans straw mushrooms (cut each mushroom into quarters, mix with 1/2 tsp salt and some vegetarian seasoning)
- 3/4 cup roasted cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 4 tbsp wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- Place the flax seeds (with soaking water), kombu and salt in a blender; process until smooth.
- Add pumpkin, cashew nuts, coconut milk, nutritional yeast flakes and vegetable oil; process until smooth.
- Gradually add in tapioca starch and wheat flour until well mixed.
- Transfer the batter into a big bowl.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over low heat.
- Coat the pan surface with some olive oil.
- Ladle 1/2 cup batter into the pan and spread it evenly.
- Distribute the straw mushrooms (about 1/4 cup) throughout the batter.
- Trickle some oil around the edges of the omelette and fry until they turn light brown.
- Flip it over and fry for about 1 minute.
- Dish out and place the omelette on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle over with white pepper powder and coriander leaves.
- Repeat steps 6 to 12 until all the batter is used up.
- May serve with Vegetarian Belacan Chili Paste.