The vegetarian recipe for Kelp Fritters (Vegan Keropok Lekor):
- 2 cups soaked kelp/kombu (*soak kelp overnight, wash and chop)
- 6 cups tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp white pepper powder
- 1 tsp vegetarian seasoning
- Place kelp and water in a blender, puree until smooth, transfer to a pot and bring to a boil over low heat.
- In a huge mixing bowl, combine tapioca starch with wheat flour, gently pour the boiled kelp puree over the flour and stir well with a wooden spatula.
- Add all the seasonings and knead the dough until smooth.
- Scatter some wheat flour on the workbench, take a handful of the dough, roll into a 1-cm diameter sausage and repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Boil a big pot of water, place the kelp sausages in the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cooked sausages, place on a greased pan and allow to cool.
- Cut the sausages into short lengths and deep fry until crispy and golden.
- Dish out, drain and serve with chilli sauce.