MOTHER’S DAY SPECIAL
The vegetarian recipe for Carnation Buns:
- 2 1/2 cups wheat flour (sieve)
- 1/4 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp liquid food color – pink
- Combine instant dry yeast, water and sugar.
- When the yeast and sugar dissolve, add pink food coloring and stir well.
- Add wheat flour and vegetable oil and form a dough.
- Flour a flat surface, knead the dough until smooth and not sticky.
- Roll the dough into a long loaf, divide into 20 equal pieces and form dough balls.
- Roll the dough balls into thin stick shapes.
- Then, roll out (roll over for about 10 times) the dough sticks into thin long dough sheets with a rolling pin.
- One carnation bun requires two dough sheets: take one end, make one tuck upwardly, continue to make tucks and affix (one by one) to the center, use the 2nd sheet for the final layer/layers and place the carnation bun on a piece of greaseproof paper.
- Steam over high heat for 10 minutes.
- May sprinkle over with brown sugar before serving.